Monday, September 13, 2010

Catering to the Audience

     I completely forgot to write a Blog post last week so I have had the opportunity to read a number of my classmates entries in catching up after the weekend. Writing Instructions seems to be the popular topic and rightfully so. This is our first real assignment in this class and although it seemed like an easy one at the start I am starting to change my mind. It seems we are all gaining a new appreciation for the little booklets that come with our purchases, trying their best to make sense in the heads of every random buyer of the product or service.
     The more specific the topic, i think, the easier it is to write instructions for something because your audience is highly specialized and therefore easier to cater to. I think the real difficulty arises in trying to  write instructions for the general public, anyone. We all interpret things differently and I think that pays a huge role in our perception of instructions. Some love the all visual Ikea ones and some despise them, some need warnings and hints and explanations while others just want the bare facts. As we continue our assignment process, I think it is great we have a chance to go over our work with our group and get feedback. This way we can see how others interpret our work and gives us an idea of how to cater more towards the audience.

 Random Question

What do you think would be the hardest thing to write general instructions for?
I'm going with Jury Duty

2 comments:

  1. I'd definitely agree with you that it is easier to write instructions for more specific topics! It's easiest to write instructions for someone who has a general knowledge of the topic already, too. I think most of the instructions we write is going to be definitions and background information that the reader needs to know before even getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the opportunity to go over our work in class has been very helpful to me in my attempt at writing coherent instructions. My topic affords me the luxury of a somewhat limited and even mildly knowledgeable audience, which is great because trying to explain to John Q Public how to do much of anything engine related would be a daunting task.

    As for Jury Duty, steer clear my friend. I know people who have gone and still couldn't tell you what they were supposed to be doing while they were there lol.

    ReplyDelete